Neon Museum - Las Vegas, Nevada (Photos Courtesy of Author)
My final year of my masters program in Historic Preservation. The only thing that is stopping me from getting my diploma (other than completing all of my courses/credits) is the ultimate thesis. Feelings of anxiety has overcome myself and the majority of my peers. However, it is only through my love and passion of my thesis topic I know that I have the courage to complete this ultimate dissertation that may perhaps (as my professors have scared us to death) define my burgeoning years in the historic preservation field. This is definitely not for the faint in heart!
Okay, perhaps I am over-dramatizing this…
Let’s get back down to earth. For all those that are inclined, for my thesis I venture to preserve the neon signs of Las Vegas! I plan to do this by:
- Investigating the existing conditions of signs;
- Digging through the history of timeless Las Vegas neon signs to elucidate how their appearance has evolved over the years;
- Analyzing how these signs age and deteriorate;
- Researching different conservation techniques to preserve the paint, metal, and neon glass of these amazing sculptures;
- And proposing a plan on how best to conserve these relics of Las Vegas yesteryear.
- (If there is anything that I am leaving off, please let me know.)
If you have any information, recommendations, comments, concerns, contacts, ANYTHING that can help me with my thesis, PLEASE let me know! (Even if its to drop an opinion on how you think the sign should be preserved.)
You can reply to this post, make a comment in the disqus thread (found on comments and requests link at the bottom of each post), the ‘ask me anything’ link at the bottom of the page, or shoot me an email at the email address found in my about page.
Oh and please reblog this to help spread the support of preserving Las Vegas Neon Signs! Thanks everyone! :)